Monday, August 3, 2009

Dear Kids:

So here's the story. We have two vans here, a Chrysler and a VW. The Chrysler uses gasoline and the VW uses diesel (and, incidentally, gets twice as many kilometers per euro as the Chrysler). I am in charge of maintaining both vehicles, including keeping the tanks full. Have you guessed the rest of the story yet?

So this morning I got up to fill the VW before another group of missionaries took off for a trip to Iittala (glass factory there). The tank was half full, and I had nearly topped it off when I realized that I was pumping in gasoline instead of diesel. Well, I consulted three guys inside the station (not employees, just three guys standing around having their morning coffee; the clerk was a young girl). Each one of them had their own ideas about how serious it might be and what should be done about it. Finally, one of them gave me a phone number to call. "They are open 24/7 and they will tell you what to do." Thanks. I drove home (without any engine problems) and called the number. I think they told me that the tank would have to be drained, and since I had driven it (a whole 2 Km), the injectors would probably have to be replaced. In any event, it would have to be towed to the VW dealership for them to take care of it. ($$$$). Br. Vorimo, a counselor in the temple presidency, was kind enough to come over and go with me to the dealership. They won't be able to get to it for a couple of hours, so we came home, and will go back to pick it up when it is ready.

So that's my story, and I guess I have to stick to it. Any of your experiences with diesel engines would be welcome.

--Dad (writing from his doghouse)


No comments:

Post a Comment